May All Your Bacon Burn

 “The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos” 

-Hayao Miyazaki

 Animation has been a lifelong dream of mine- Much like any kid growing up, I was constantly consuming the visual media that is animation. From Movies, TV shows and games- I was always taking in some animated entertainment. Many of the reasons I started drawing were because of video games. While I wanted to do character design for video games at first, I grew a greater appreciation for animation. It often gets sidelined as strictly a medium for kids, but it's much more than that. Animation is a medium, and any story, targeted at kids or adults, is helpful in its storytelling aspects. It provides more significant space for creativity and anything beyond the confines of reality. We've seen beautiful examples in adult animation, from Animatrix, Anomalisa, to Loving Vincent; animation has proven to be much more than the fundamentals of film making.

For this project, I was inspired by the one director that has influenced my childhood greatly, Hayao Miyazaki. Studio Ghibli films have always had a special place in my heart, the Howl's Moving Castle. My favorite character was Calcifer, The little fire demon that inhabits howl's fireplace. So I decided to make a short animation on the all-powerful fire demon. I wanted to keep it simple and have him move around frantically. Also, calcifer tends to have this squiggly mouth when he talks, so I wanted to pay homage to his strange mannerisms while staying true to fire's erratic nature. Using an illustrator for this wasn't easy, and it took several layers to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Art: Art made in the Digital Age & The Fluxus/Dada Movement

In a World of My Own - Photoshop Project

Copyright and The Art World