Tubman and the Twenty

 Illustrator, the app I’ve been waiting to use for a long time- Is finally here! I’ll be honest, using the programs was problematic as is. The tools were utterly foreign to me, and it was hard to manage, but I persisted. This week’s project was to redesign the twenty-dollar bill with Harriet Tubman, and I was intrigued by the challenge. Unlike the portal to another world, there is a specific quota I must fill rather than go all-out crazy. I decided to keep it simple for the project and preserve the likeness of Tubman. I found this particular picture of  Tubman perfect for the center, and I envisioned it in that dollar etching style.

While I can draw, I found this particularly difficult because there is immense detailing on our dollars, even if we don’t notice them. It was fun to dissect the iconography of the dollar because, much like the one dollar, there were symbols embedded into the dollar. While I could get caught up in the finer details of a project, I decided to put my focus mainly on Tubman’s bust for the twenty. I created several layers and traced the photo I wanted with the drawing tools. The drawing process was a venture for me because my main dream is to illustrate images like this project. I am a traditional artist, but I eventually need to transition into the digital medium. To continue the project, I had to use the tablet version of illustrator; I could use my stylus to draw. The familiar tools helped tremendously with the drawing because I struggled on the laptop. Mouse drawing is no walk in the park!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Art: Art made in the Digital Age & The Fluxus/Dada Movement

In a World of My Own - Photoshop Project

Copyright and The Art World