Copyright and The Art World

    If you're an artist trying to make a profit on the world wide web, you might be familiar with the copyright terms. Copyright is defined as "a type of intellectual property that protects original works of authorship as soon as an author fixes the work in a tangible form of expression." (What is copyright?) This means that an original work made by anyone has the moral right to said original content, that way, it prevents it from being stolen.

Now, That's not to say that I can't use anyone else's work entirely, but it does mean that if I want to use someone else's work, I need to be reasonable about its usage. If I were to use all of someone's copyrighted material, I would be a risk for a copyright strike. As another artist, I could dispute it if it was under fair use- but be warned; I cannot abuse this ability too much.

I remember seeing a copyright dispute happening to one of the YouTubers I watch: Kurtis Conner. (Check out his videos!!) Kurtis did a video reviewing the Animated film Goat story, a free movie on YouTube. Under his review, he would poke fun at the movie's plot, but he would show only the clips of interest and did not showcase the whole film. After Conner uploaded this video, he was then copyrighted by the studio who made the movie, but he settled it, stating fair use.

 

The copyright laws are helpful to artists in the event of their work being stolen, but with strict rules comes consequence. It can be tricky to use copyrighted work if you haven't checked how to use it moderately. It's always good to take note of its tags and if there are any specific requirements of the material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Art: Art made in the Digital Age & The Fluxus/Dada Movement

In a World of My Own - Photoshop Project